Understanding the Risks of Feeding Cherries to Dogs

Cherries are popular fruits, enjoyed by people of all ages. A juicy, sweet treat when eaten raw, or added to a variety of recipes—but what about for our pet friends? While cherries may look innocent enough, feeding these fruits to your dog can actually result in some serious consequences. To ensure your pet’s health and safety, it is important to understand the risks involved with feeding cherries to dogs. Read on to learn more about the potential dangers behind this fruit and how to keep Fido safe from harm!

Understanding the Different Types of Cherries Toxic to Dogs

Cherries are small, sweet fruits that can be enjoyed by many people. Unfortunately, they can also be toxic to dogs if consumed in large doses. While there are different types of cherries out there, some have a higher chance of being toxic than others.

Bing, Lambert, and Rainier cherries contain cyanogenic glycoside, which is an organic compound found in many fruit pits and seeds. This substance produces hydrogen cyanide when ingested. Hydrogen cyanide is poisonous to humans and animals and can potentially cause serious health concerns for your pup if consumed in large enough amounts.

The stems, leaves, and pits of cherries can also present a danger to dogs due to the presence of prussic acid — a type of hydrocyanic acid used commercially for fumigation. Prussic acid is toxic in high doses and can lead to fatal results for your dog.

If you suspect your pet has ingested any kind of cherry or its related parts (leaves, pits etc.), contact a vet immediately as these types of poisoning need to be treated quickly before more harm is done. In addition to medical help, it’s important to keep an eye on your pooch’s behavior as any changes should be reported to the vet right away. Always practice caution when feeding your dog any food — even something as seemingly harmless as cherries.

Recognizing Signs of Cherry Poisoning in Dogs

Cherry poisoning in dogs is a serious medical condition and can be fatal if left untreated. Recognizing the signs of cherry poisoning in dogs is important to ensure your pet receives proper treatment as soon as possible.

Common signs of cherry poisoning include vomiting, gastrointestinal distress (diarrhea, gas), increased salivation, weakness or lethargy, muscle tremors, changes in urine and/or feces color, panting or difficulty breathing, loss of coordination and an abnormally low heart rate. Pets who have ingested cherry pits may also experience depression or coma-like symptoms and their gums may appear pale or gray.

If you think your dog has eaten cherries or cherry pits and exhibits any of these signs, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as untreated cases can lead to organ failure. If caught early enough, most treatments are successful with supportive care such as intravenous fluids being administered and activated charcoal given orally to help absorb toxins.

Generally speaking, prevention is the best cure when it comes to potential poisonings, so ensuring your dog does not have access to plants, fruits or other potentially dangerous items is the best course of action – no matter how tempting they might be!

Preventing Intoxication from Feeding Cherries To Dogs

It is not a good idea to give cherries to your dog as they can cause intoxication. Dogs have sensitive digestive systems which can make it hard for them to process certain foods. Cherries contain high levels of malic acid, stemming from the vulnerable skin and fruit flesh surrounding the seed. The malic acid contained in cherries can cause intestinal upset, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea in dogs if consumed. In some cases, it may even induce an uncontrollable drunken stupor in more severe cases known as cherry intoxication which is due to cyanide toxicity. Though fresh cherries are not typically toxic to dogs, ingesting large amounts of pitted or stemless cherries can be dangerous because of their hypoglycemic effect on dogs. Consequently, it is best to avoid feeding any type of cherry to your dog as much as possible, unless recommended by a veterinarian with expertise in canine nutrition.

Treatments for Cherry Poisoning in Dogs

Cherry poisoning in dogs, also known as cyanide poisoning, is a serious condition that requires quick treatment to avoid long-term damage or death. It occurs when a dog is exposed to the toxin in cherries, including apricot, peach, and plum varieties. Symptoms of cherry poisoning include difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, and shock.

If your dog has ingested cherry pits or any other form of cherry fruit, it is important to seek immediate medical care. Treatment for cherry poisoning will vary based on the severity of the toxicity. Treatments may include medications to reduce toxins and symptoms within the body, intravenous fluid therapy to detoxify the dog and replace lost fluids due to vomiting and diarrhea, activated charcoal to absorb remaining toxins in the gut if necessary, oxygen support if needed because of respiratory failure caused by cyanide inhalation, and close monitoring of vital signs.

In addition to medical treatments, supportive care such as cage rest and special diets can help ensure a complete recovery from cherry poisoning. If left untreated, cherry poisoning can lead to prolonged convulsions or cardiac arrest. With proper care and treatment however, most dogs can make a full recovery from this potentially fatal condition.

To conclude, it is not recommended to feed cherries to dogs because of the health risks associated with them. If you must offer them, ensure that the pits and stems are remove first as they can block and even puncture the intestines. Additionally keep an eye out for any adverse reactions your pet may have after consumption, such as vomiting or diarrhea. Ultimately, there are other treats that are safer and more nutritionally beneficial to feed your furry companion so make sure to find a healthy option before giving cherries!


Feeding cherries to dogs can be dangerous and even fatal due to their containing cyanide. Owners should check with a veterinarian before giving any fruit to dogs to ensure there are no negative consequences or risks, such as seeds and pits causing an internal blockage or toxicity from chemicals like cyanide.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *